CAHNRS is a complex and diverse college with many and varied safety considerations. Students, staff and faculty working in labs, fields, and classrooms, both indoors and outside, have a responsibility to be knowledgeable of and maintain safe operations throughout the many activities we perform in pursuit of learning and discovery. CAHNRS Operations: Safety provides this page as a resource to help establish and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment.
February brings National Burn Awareness Week.
As part of working and learning in CAHNRS, students and employees can be exposed to hazardous chemicals, flames, hot surfaces, and other substances that can cause burns. It is important to be aware of burn hazards, how to avoid them and how to deal with them.
- Report hazardous and slippery areas to Facilities Services at 335-9000.
Remove footwear traction devices (cleats/chains) before entering buildings.
- Watch out for snow or water tracked in from outside.
- Injury? Promptly complete an incident report and let your immediate supervisors know for investigation.
- Read the full safety message here…
College Level Safety Committee
The CAHNRS college-level safety committee does not replace unit or departmental safety committees but provides additional support and upward communication for safety issues. The goals for this year’s committee will be developing and reviewing college-level safety projects such as creating a college Accident Prevention Plan, updating the college by-laws and safety committee guidelines, and assisting with gathering and compiling information on department and unit safety committees. Additionally, college safety committee members act as additional points of contact for anyone within the college to bring forward their questions or concerns about safety.
College Level Committee Membership:
|Functional Area||Committee Member||Departments Represented|
|R & E / Subject Centers||Jeff Lunden|
|WSU Prosser IAREC|
|WSU Puyallup R&E
WA State Pest Mgmt
WA Stormwater Center
|WSU Mt. Vernon NWREC|
|WSU Wenatchee TFREC|
|Alumni & Friends
Business & Finance
Biological Systems Eng.
Inst. of Biological Chem.
School of the Environ.
School of Food Science
|Crop & Soil Sciences
Plant Intro & Testing
Johnson Hall Grad Ctr
School of Econ Sciences
|Plant Growth Facility|
|WSU Children's Center|
Department/Unit Safety Committees
- WSU Police
- WSU Alert
- WSU Office of Emergency Management
- WSU Environmental Health and Safety Office
- WSU Pullman Campus Safety Plan
- Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industry
- CAHNRS Safety Committee Bylaws
- CAHNRS Accident Prevention Plan
- Emergency Response Plan
- Incident Report
- Lab self assessment checklist
- Lab Safety Manual
- Safety Checklist
- Safety Committee Annual Plan Template
- Safety Policies and Procedures Manual (SPPM)
Safety by Topic
- Animal Safety Resources
- Department of Animal Sciences
- IACUC Training
- Office of Campus Veterinarian
- Vet Med.
- WSU Handbook for the IACUC
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Institutional Review Board
- Plant Related Activities
- Select Agents and Toxins
Chemical and Laboratory
- WSU Chemistry Department
- WSU Environmental Health and Safety
- WSU Facilities Operations
- WSU Laboratory Biosafety
- Agricultural Field Technician Safety Tips
- Agricultural Field Technician Safety Preparedness
- Department of Crops and Soil Sciences Safety
- Department of Horticulture Safety
- Plant Growth Facilities
- Plant Related Biosafety
- R&E Centers
- TFREC Pesticide Safety
- Urban IPM & Pesticide Safety Education
- WA State Pest Management Resource Service
General Health and Safety
Public Health and Food Safety